Field House, Devon
Field House sits on a south-facing hill above the village of Littlehempston with far-reaching views over the South Devon countryside. The site was previously occupied by a 1950's bungalow and several concrete outbuildings.
Field House is almost entirely constructed from wood. It is clad in cedar and formed internally from Cross Laminated Timber (CLT). The CLT is generally left exposed internally giving the building a monolithic feel - walls seamlessly flow into floors or become items of furniture such as desks or benches. It makes use of various green technologies such as solar PV, MVHR (Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery) and an air-source heat pump.
The house is one-and-a-half storeys to eaves level and takes a simple vernacular form with little articulation to the pitched roof. The L shaped plan defines a south-facing terrace and provides shelter from the cold easterlies. At the building’s heart is a double height space containing the main staircase and connecting the kitchen and dining room with a first floor study area. The large open-plan living spaces on the ground floor are contrasted with the smaller scale of the bedrooms above which are tucked efficiently into the eaves.